Creme BruleeJul 07
- 1 Quart heavy cream
- 1 Vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1 Cup sugar, divided
- 6 Large egg yolks
- 2 Quarts hot water
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix the cream, vanilla bean, and scraped pulp into a saucepan over a medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to sit for 15 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean.
- Whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and egg yolks until well blended and the mixture becomes pale yellow.
- Slowly whisk in the cream,a little at a time, stirring constantly, until all of the cream is incorporated.
- Pour the liquid into ramekins.
- Place the ramekins into a roasting pan and pour enough hot water into the pan to come half way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake until the custard is set, but still jiggles in the center, approximately 40-45 minutes.
- Remove the ramekins from the pan and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and no longer than 2 days.
- To serve, remove the creme brulee from the refrigerator and let it rest before caramelizing sugar on top. Divide the remaining sugar and sprinkle evenly over each custard. Using a torch, melt the sugar evenly to form a crispy top.
- Allow the creme brulee to rest another 5 minutes and then serve.